The Comparative degree of adjectives
1. Complete these sentences. Use the comparative of the words in brackets + than.
1) Her illness waswe at first thought. (serious)
2) Sorry I'm late. It took meto get hereI expected. (long)
3) My toothache isit was yesterday. (painful)
4) She looks about 20, but in fact she's muchshe looks. (old)
5) The problem is not so complicated. It's you think. (simple)
6) Health and happiness are _______money. (important)
7) We always go camping when we go on holiday. It's muchstaying in a hotel. (cheap)
2. Complete these sentences. Use the comparative of the words in brackets + than. And you also have to use a bit, a little, much, a lot .1) Her illness wasthan we at first thought. (much / serious)
2) It's____ today it was yesterday. (a little /warm)
3) I prefer this armchair. It'sthe other one. (much / comfortable)
4) You looked depressed this morning but you look ______ now. (a bit / happy)
5) This flat is too small for me. I need something. (much / big)
6) It's _____to learn a foreign language in the country where it is spoken. (a lot / easy)
3. You have to complete the sentences using аs__as.
1) I'm quite tall but you are taller. I'm notyou.
2) Ann works reasonably hard but she used to work much harder. Ann doesn't work __________she used to.
3) My salary is high but yours is higher. My salary isn't.
4) You know a bit about cars but I know more. You don't____________.
5) I still smoke but I used to smoke a lot more. I don't smoke_________ I used to.
6) I still feel quite tired but I felt a lot more tired yesterday. I don't _____________.
7) They've lived here for quite a long time but we've lived here longer. They haven't_______.
8) I was a bit nervous before the interview but usually I'm a lot nervous. I wasn't_____.4. Read these sentences and then write a new sentence with the same meaning. Use a superlative each time and begin each sentence as shown.
1) I've never seen such a boring film. It'sI've ever seen.
2) I've never heard such a funny story. That's the _______I've ever heard.
3) He's never made such a bad mistake. It's _________ he's ever made.
4) I haven't tasted such good coffee for a long time. That'stime.
5) I've never slept in such an uncomfortable bed. This isI’ve ever slept in.
6) I've never had such a big meal. It'sI've ever had.
7) I've never had such a good friend as you. You are _______ I've ever had.
8) I haven't had to make such a difficult decision for years. This is ______ I’ve had to make for years.
5. Put in like or as.
1) Your English is very fluent. I wish I could speakyou.
2) You needn't take my advice if you don't want to. You can do ___ you like.
3) There's no need to change your clothes. You can go outyou are.
4) The weather's terrible for the middle of summer. It'swinter.
5) When we asked Jack to help us, he agreed immediately, _____ I knew he would.
6 While we were on holiday, we spent most of our time doing energetic things _______sailing, water-skiing and swimming.
6. Match the youth group and its most distinguishing feature. There is one extra feature you don’t need to use.
A member of a youth group / movement Feature
7) Scout a) brightly coloured hair
b) love for all people
c) loyalty and responsibility
d) concern about nature
e) 2 or 3 wheeled motorised vehicle
f) coats in the style of the beginning of the century
g) all-night dancing
h) "Wizards" of the computer world