USE OF ENGLISH
Task 1. Fill in the gaps with must, may, can or can't.
1. Helen's dad is a fantastic cook! He knows so much about Chinese, Japanese, Italian and French dishes. He ___________be a chef.
2. Jim knows nothing about engines and cars. He _______________be a mechanic.
3. Everyone in the hospital respects James. People say he is very good at operating on patients. He ____________ be a surgeon.
4. This woman is always very neatly dressed and she knows how to get along with kids. She __________ be a teacher or a babysitter.
5. She wears awful make-up and has no taste in clothes. She _______________ be a designer.
Task 2. Fill in the gaps to complete the expressions.
do ( one's) best do exercises do harm do.. . good
do the shopping do some work do without
1. I shall ___________ to finish the work in time.
2. A walk in the park will ___________ you _____________ .
3. I can't ____________ a dictionary when I translate texts from Russian into English.
4. My friends are coming to a party at my house, so I have to __________________.
5. My grandparents _______________ every day, so they are still fit and energetic.
Task 3. Use the linking words (and, but, that's why, because, though, otherwise) to join the parts of the sentences.
1. Their team seldom wins _____________they don't play very well.
2. I'm keen on windsurfing ________________ I want to move to the seaside.
3. He is very good at dancing _______________ nobody has ever taught him.
4. I wanted to join a boxing club ____________my parents were dead against it, so I didn't do it.
5. He coached his son for more than a year _____________ the boy became a leading player in the school team.
Task 4. Circle the correct word in italic.
1. I don't want you to do this sport. It's risky, even life-threatening / life-threatened.
2. I found that film quite frightening / frightened.
3. When the team lost the game, the fans felt depressing / depressed.
4. This kind of music makes me feel relaxing / relaxed.
5. The game ended in a draw (вничью), but it was still exciting / excited game.
Task 5. Read the two letters and fill in the gaps with the best options below the text.
1) I don't like it when people smoke. I feel sick and get a headache when somebody (1) __________ beside me. I don't want to (2) ___________a society that supports smokers, I don't approve of the fact that cigarettes (3) ___________in public places. Actually, you can buy them everywhere - in cinemas, in hotels, even in sport centers! Kids watch people smoking and can pick up the bad habit. I think that smoking should be banned in any public place. It's not fair to make other people (4) ______________ headaches just because smokers don't want to give up their habit.
2) I'm a heavy smoker. I (5) ___________ for fifteen years, and (6) __________ . My family criticize me for this unhealthy habit, but I lack the willpower (7) ____________ . So they have to (8) _____________. The problem is that I suffer a lot when I happen to be in so-called '"non-smoking areas". I think that society should (9) ________________more places for smokers since there are a lot of us.