Choose the correct answer A, B or C.
1. I ran … Alex on my way to work.
A) onto B) into C) to
2. Mark … money to environmental organizations.
A) congests B) donates C) increases
3.Cars run … gas.
A) with B) on C) in
4. Try to reuse things as much as possible so as to … waste.
A) save B) eliminate C)protect
5. Washing machines use a large … of water
A) amount B) crop C) emission
6. We are supporters … WWF.
A) about B) at C) of
7. When you go shopping, make sure you … to the shopping list
A) stay B) save C) keep
8. You have to cut … the amount of paper you use.
A) down on B) out on C) up to
9. Switch of the lights to … energy.
A) protect B) release C) save
10. Don’t throw this jar away; I can use it to … different things.
A) protect B) eliminate C) store
11. Hang the cage higher to protect the canary … the cat.
A) from B) out of C) under
12. What can I do to … the environment?
A) protect B) release C) save
13. There are still many factories that …toxic gases into the air.
A) eliminate B) release C) store
14. It’s really easy to make a compost … in your garden.
A) home B) heap C) hill
15. We’ve run … sugar.
A) of B) from C) out of
II. Write down the proper word.
1. You look very pale. You should/can take some aspirin and go to bed.
2. You don’t have to/shouldn’t walk the dog again. John walked him an hour ago.
3. You can’t/don’t have to enter this room; it’s for staff only.
4. You ought to/have to reuse plastic and paper bags; don’t throw them away.
5. This is an old-fashioned school. All students can/must wear a uniform.
6. I can’t meet my friends in the evening because I have to/can do my homework.
7. You can/should take all this waste paper to the recycling bin.
8. Would you like some dessert/desert?
9. You can’t/mustn’t be loud during the lesson.
10. I’m afraid you can’t/mustn’t park here.
11. Polar bears are under/in threat because of climate change.
12. You can’t/had better not buy this tinned food; it’s genetically
13. We mustn’t/don’t have to go swimming at this beach; sea turtles lay their eggs here.
14. When you travel, you must/should try to stay at environmentally friendly hotels.
15. I don’t think animals should be kept at/in captivity.
16. These trousers are very loose/lose on you. Get a smaller size.
17. He wastes so much energy; he ought to/has to at least switch off the lights when he leaves the room.
18. Polar bears are under/in threat because of climate change.
19. Climate change affects/effects the whole world.13. A lot of animal species are under/in danger of extinction.
20. I must/can’t do something to help the environment but I don’t know what.
III. Circle the correct response.
Did you know that more than 150 acres of rainforests are lost every minute? A) Maybe we can do something before it’s too late.
B) Maybe all is not lost.
I read somewhere recently that some countries already have a water crisis. A) I agree. B) That’s horrible!
It’s very cold today! A) That sounds cool! B) I know what you mean.
They say that polar bears may be extinct in 100 years. A) That’s really terrible! B) I know what you mean.
Did you get caught in the rain?
A) Yeah, I’m soaking wet! B) Don’t be silly!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
b b b b a c c a c c a a b b c
2 Don’t have to
4 Have to
6 Have to
12 Had better not
17 Ought to
1 2 3 4 5
A B B A A