ENGLISH-10 UNIT 2
1. Прослушайте текст и определите истинность каждого из высказываний. Вы услышите текст дважды.
a) trueb) falsec) not stated
1) Zoe did not expect to be a teacher after leaving school at sixteen.
2) Zoe did not continue her studies at college.
3) Zoe says her parents were teachers.
4) Zoe misunderstood the taxi driver’s remark.
5) Zoe didn’t have difficulties when she arrived in Britain.
6) Zoe wants her book to attract readersof different nationalities.
7) Zoe thinks life turns out as we intend it to.
2. Подберите к каждому из абзацев 1 - 7 подходящий заголовок из вариантов A - H. Один заголовок лишний.
A.Evaluating every action
D.Choosing a course of action
G.Thinking about costs
H. Setting goals
A way to success
1. One of the first steps in the process of becoming successful is to make the decision to achieve something. All of us know that nothing can move forward until that first decision to do so is made. The initial action is always the decision to go ahead, which many people tend to overlook. So, decide on moving forward, put your decision down in writing, just to keep it in focus, and then carry on from there.
2. Having clarity of vision and purpose is perhaps one of the most important factors of achieving success. The fact is that most people simply have no idea about what they really want. Clarity means understanding exactly what you want and how it will affect your life. Once you acquire clarity of vision and purpose, the next vital step of becoming successful is determining aims you want to achieve.
3. You should be able to accomplish what you set out to do with unwavering concentration. Life is full of distractions — TV, family, e-mail and telephones — all of which can be completely overwhelming. How can you concentrate on your goals? Willpower is one of the factors although willpower alone will not be sufficient to achieve your aims. One of the best ways is to make a plan and then stick to it.
4. Before beginning any new activity, examine it to see if it will help in moving you nearer to your goals. If a certain activity can be put away for a later time, defer it. If that activity can be done by somebody else, delegate it. And if it does not really need to be done at all, it can be deleted. This kind of close examination of each activity will help in keeping you focused on the things that are really important.
5. Success often involves being willing to pay the price that everything has. The price may not be in monetary terms. It could be sacrifice, effort, time, and also money, or maybe something else. The point is that in order to become successful, you must be ready to work hard and to put all your effort into achieving your purpose. Success takes a lot of dedication.
6. Lack of confidence is one of the biggest hurdles that many people need to get over in order to become successful. People often think they are not good enough or not smart enough, which can actually prevent them from finding the success they seek. It is common knowledge that if you think you can do something, you will, and conversely, if you think that it cannot be done, it will lead to failure.
7. Nothing can be achieved until action is taken to achieve it. After all the above steps of taking a decision, setting goals, making plans and choosing a strategy, you will need to go ahead and act on what you want to achieve. By putting your plan of action into play, you will get to what you set out to achieve — becoming successful!
3. Измените слова в скобках так, чтобы они соответствовали содержанию текста.
I always wanted to be a great 1) _________ (SCIENCE). I had the dreams of discovering a new drug that would save the lives of hundreds of people. 2) ________ (FORTUNATE) I was never good at (3) _________ (CHEMIST) at school and the 4) _______ (TEACH) used to be very cross with me. After a while I decided I would become an 5) _________ (INVENT) and design an amazing new product which would become a household 6) _______ (SENSATIONAL). A few weeks later I had a brilliant idea for a pen that would write upside down. To my 7) _________ (DISAPPOINT) a friend of mine pointed out that it was not a new 8) ________ (DISCOVER).
4. Выберите верный вариант преобразования прямой речи в косвенную.
1) He says, “You are right.”
a) He says that I am right.
b) He says which I right.
c) He says I was right.
d) He said I am right.
2) She says to him, “I have a right to know.”
a) She tells him that she would have a right to know.
b) She tell him he have a right to know.
c) She says him he has a right to know.
d) She tells him that she has a right to know.
3) We said to them, “We have no money.”
a) We told them that we have no money.
b) We told them that we had no money.
c) We told them we have no money.
d) We told to them that we had no money.
4) He said, “I have changed my opinion.”
a) He said that he had changed his opinion.
b) He said that he have changed his opinion.
c) He said that he would have changed his opinion.
d) He said that he changed his opinion.
5) He said, “I will bring you a book tomorrow”.
a) He said that he would bring me a book the next day.
b) He said that he will bring me a book the next day.
c) He said that he brings me a book tomorrow.
d) He said that he would bring me a book tomorrow.
6) They said, “We were in the USA the day before yesterday”.
a) They said that they had been in the USA two days after.
b) They said that they had been in the USA the days before yesterday.
c) They said that they had been in the USA two days before.
d) They said that they have been in the USA two days before yesterday.
7) He asked her, “Do you speak English?”
a) He asked her of she have spoken English.
b) He asked her she speaks English.
c) He asked her if she had spoken English.
d) He asked her if she spoke English.
8) I asked them, “Have you been to Africa?”
a) I asked them whether they had been to Africa.
b) I asked them whether they have been to Africa.
c) I asked them whether they were to Africa.
d) I asked them whether they would be to Africa.
9) He asked us, “What are your names?”
a) He asked us our names what were.
b) He asked our what names are.
c) He asked us what our names are.
d) He asked us what our names were.
10) She said to me, “Don’t talk to me”.
a) She told me not to talk to her.
b) She told me to not talk to her.
c) She told me not to talk to me.
d) She told me do not to talk to her.
ENGLISH-10 UNIT 2
Текст для аудирования
Interviewer: Each week we invite different people into the studio to talk about their career. This week our guest is a TV actress Zoe Fisher. Zoe, welcome to our programme. I suppose the first thing we all want to know is how you started your career. Have you always wanted to be an actress?
Zoe Fisher: No, of course not. When I was a little girl at school, I always used to say, ‘I’m going to be a teacher when I grow up.’ I really believed my dream would come true, even though I left school at 16. I had to leave because I was one of six children and my parents couldn’t afford to keep me there. That was one of the saddest days of my life because I loved going to school.
Interviewer: So what did you do?
Zoe Fisher: Anyway, after leaving school I went to work in the chief accountant’s office of a bank. I had intended studying in the evenings at college but I got involved with an amateur theatrical group and a few years later I applied for, and got a job in children’s television.
Interviewer: When you started work on the children’s programme, many people asked us if you had trained as a teacher. And today they are still interested in the same question.
Zoe Fisher: I suppose in a way I am a natural teacher although I don’t have any qualifications. However, my chance to communicate with millions of children across the world in the past 25 years has given me the opportunity to develop that ability. I love to bring knowledge into children’s lives and truly believe that if we teach children well, they will lead the way in the future.
Interviewer: Did you have any funny incidents in your career?
Zoe Fisher: Well, I was in a taxi on my way home one day from the TV studios and the cab driver turned round and said, ‘I think of you every day.’ ‘Oh no, here we go.’ I thought. But it turned out that he had a two-year-old son and his wife worked during the day, so when he looked after his son he would always turn on the TV so he and his son could watch my programme. That was the biggest compliment anyone could ever pay me.
Interviewer: You grew up in Trinidad in the West Indies, didn’t you? How did you feel when you come to the UK?
Zoe Fisher: When I arrived in Britain in 1960 I had quite a hard time to begin with. I had to fight to be accepted and I think that experience gave me a certain amount of drive and ambition.
Interviewer: Zoe, are you satisfied with your career choice?
Zoe Fisher: In a way I think I’ve achieved my ambition to become a teacher through my work on television. I get letters from children whose lives I have touched in some small way and I feel my dream has come true. I’m hoping to write a book about my life and what I would want most is that children from all countries and cultural backgrounds will be able to identify with the emotions I have experienced.
I think I’ve been a very lucky person and I believe that our path may not always take the course we expect, but sometimes we reach the same destination by a different route.
Interviewer: Zoe, thank you very much for coming...
ОТВЕТЫ И БАЛЛЫ
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
b a c a b a b
Каждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 7 баллов.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D H E A G B C
Каждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 7 баллов.
1) scientist2) chemistry3) Unfortunately
4) teacher5) inventor6) sensation7) disappointment8) discoveryКаждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 8 баллов.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
a d b a a c d a d a
Каждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 10 баллов.
ИТОГО: 32 балла
Перевод баллов в оценку:
29 - 32 балла – “5”
19 - 28 баллов – “4”
13 - 18 баллов – “3”
менее 13 баллов – “2”