ENGLISH-11 UNIT 1
1. Преобразуйте слова в скобках так, чтобы они лексически соответствовали содержанию предложений.
1) What do you know about cultural (diverse) of British society?
2) Everyone was late, (exception) Richard and Lilly.
3) Do you wait for a (to reduce) of your salary?
4) Your questions should be (independence) of each other.
5) Their children go to a (progress) school.
2. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в нужную форму.
1) The website (to come) _________ online next week.
2) - Where is Mark?
- I (not to meet) him today.
3) If I had a time machine, I (to travel) to the future.
4) In case she (to want) _________ to see him, he’ll come over.
5) She (not to read) my letter yesterday.
6) (To do) Kyle often visit his grandparents?
7) Last year I (to choose) from different colleges.
8) Have people ever (to explore) Venus?
9) The pens (not to disappear) tomorrow.
10) If I (to be) you, I would book a table before going to the new café.
3. Прочитайте текст и заполните пропуски в нём частями предложений A - L.
English is a West Germanic language 1) __________ in early medieval England and is now the most widely used language in the world. It is spoken as a first language by the majority populations of several sovereign states, including the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and 2) __________. It is the third-most-common native language in the world, 3) __________. It is widely learned as a second language and is an official language of the European Union, many Commonwealth countries and the United Nations, as well as in many world organisations.English arose in the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of England and what 4) __________. Following the extensive influence of Great Britain and the United Kingdom from the 17th century to the mid-20th century, through the British Empire, and also of the United States since the mid-20th century, it has been widely propagated around the world, 5) __________ and the lingua franca in many regions.
Historically, English originated from the fusion of closely related dialects, now collectively termed Old English, which were brought to the eastern coast of Great Britain by Germanic settlers (Anglo-Saxons) by the 5th century – with the word English 6) __________, and ultimately from their ancestral region of Angeln (in what is now Schleswig-Holstein). A significant number of English words are constructed on 7) __________, because Latin in some form was the lingua franca of the Christian Church and of European intellectual life. The language was further influenced 8) __________ because of Viking invasions in the 9th and 10th centuries.
The Norman conquest of England 9) __________ gave rise to heavy borrowings from Norman-French, and vocabulary and spelling conventions began to give the appearance of a close relationship with Romance languages to what had then become Middle English. The Great Vowel Shift that began in the south of England in the 15th century is one of the historical events that mark 10) __________.
Owing to the assimilation of words from many other languages throughout history, modern English 11) __________, with complex and irregular spelling, particularly of vowels. Modern English has not only assimilated words from other European languages, but from 12) __________. The Oxford English Dictionary lists over 250,000 distinct words, not including many technical, scientific, and slang terms.
A) by the Old Norse language
B) the basis of roots from Latin
C) in the 11th century
D) a number of Caribbean nations
E) the transformation from Middle English to Modern English
F) is now southeast Scotland
G) being derived from the name of the Angles
H) that was first spoken
I) all over the world
J) becoming the leading language of international discourse
K) after Mandarin Chinese and Spanish
L) contains a very large vocabulary
4. Ответьте развёрнуто (3 - 4 предложения) на вопрос.
Is it important to speak foreign languages? Why? Give not less 3 reasons.
ENGLISH-11 UNIT 1
ОТВЕТЫ И БАЛЛЫ
1 2 3 4 5
diversity except reduction independent progressive
Каждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 5 баллов.
1. will come
2. have not / haven’t met
3. would travel
4. wants5. did not / didn’t read
7. chose8. explored9. will not / won’t disappear
10. wereКаждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 10 баллов.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
H D K F J G B A C E L I
Каждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 12 баллов.
Развёрнутый ответ на вопрос оценивается из максимума в 5 баллов.
ИТОГО: 32 балла
Перевод баллов в оценку:
29 - 32 балла – “5”
20 - 28 баллов – “4”
13 - 19 баллов – “3”
менее 13 баллов – “2”