ENGLISH-11 UNIT 3
Прочитайте текст и выполните задания после него.
Work, sweet work...
Some companies are cherishing their employees like never before, creating the kind of workplace that you may never want to leave...
1. Is the only good thing about your office the old fridge in what is laughingly referred to as the kitchen? Are you wearing a suit and tie on Fridays? Is the only vegetation in your office a rather desperate-looking cactus? If the answer to these questions is yes, you must move jobs. Preferably, it could be an office with a permanent dress-down policy, an in-house bar and a bubbling stream in its foyer.
2. Some employers are cherishing their employees as never before. If trends continue, our much-maligned places of work could become venues we actively look forward to being in, and our domestic environment - with difficult partners, screaming kids, rubbish TV and endless bills - could become the place we choose to avoid.
3. Companies around the country are starting to realise that employees who actually enjoy their work surroundings are likely to perform better too, and are making changes in order to help make this happen. Pubs and "chill out" areas are appearing in place of the grey meeting rooms and out-of-order coffee machines we're used to, while perks are getting more and more inventive.
4. Take the advertising agency, St Luke's. This was founded as a co-operative; everyone in the company, whatever position they hold, owns an equal share. And the office is run along the same lines. You can work anywhere: the in-house café, on the sofa, or at any hot-desk available throughout the five floors of open-plan space. At the café you can lunch on subsidised pub food while listening to tunes from the café jukebox. Yoga and t'ai chi are paid for by the company. The Culture Club organises weekly trips to exhibitions. You also get the chance to take part in the "Make yourself more interesting" scheme. People have used the fund to go scuba diving, learn massage and even how to drive. "We're currently buying a holiday home, somewhere in the sun but easily accessible, which will be available to all co-owners at a low rate and this can be unique" said CEO Belinda Archer last year. The result? An energetic atmosphere in which company loyalty leads to better performance and service.
5. Toy-design company Origin Products is moving in the same direction. Everyone gathers around a large table to enjoy a free lunch. There's a state-of-the-art sound system, with a large CD-library covering the music from Eminem to Mozart. In the summer, staff take turns to have Friday afternoons off.
6. But the best thing about a job must be not going to work at all. Companies like magazine publisher Cabal Communications have introduced mental health days. These are really legalised sick days, intended to release pressure in the work environment. You simply phone and tell your boss that you can't face a day at work and, hey presto, you're free to spend the day in your dressing gown watching Oprah and reruns of Quincy - that will get you back to work as soon as possible.
7. The recently-opened BA (British Airways) headquarters at Heathrow represents the cutting edge of the modern, user-friendly office block. It is intended to be a covered microcosm of a city - only without the pollution and the pavement rage. At the centre of the building is a cobbled street with olive trees and a stream. THERE are shops, cafés and a supermarket. At one end is a restaurant overlooking a silent lake, and bridges criss-cross the street, linking the various offices. There's hardly any reason to leave the work environment at all.
8. So things are moving on from the occasional staff outing and a bit of corporate art on the walls. What will companies have to offer potential employees in the future? When the builders start creating an "office bedroom" for late night workers, you'll know things have gone just a little too far.
1. Подберите к каждому из абзацев текста 1 - 8 подходящий заголовок из списка A - J. Два заголовка в списке лишние.
A. Shopping and work at the same time.
B. Let's work at home every day.
C. Eating together as know-how.
D. "Sweet work" is going to be "sweet home".
E. Psychological issue is a core question.
F. Reasons to relocate.
G. Some good things from the past.
H. The limits of progress.
I. Exercise classes and relaxation for staff.
J. Modern companies' new developments.
2. Соотнесите характеристики и компании из текста.
1) allows its employees to take a day off work. a) BA
2) offers its staff a variety of places to eat. b) St Luke's
3) encourages its employees to learn new things and improve themselves. c) Origin Products
4) gives each member of staff the occasional long weekend. d) Cabal Comm.
3. Кратко ответьте на данные вопросы.
1) Is the text about wonderful work environments?
2) What does the pronoun THERE mean?
3) What company is able to offer its staff cheap holidays?
4) Does the article end on a serious or humorous note?
5) The writer wants an "office bedroom", doesn't he?
4. Выберите из вариантов a - d контекстное значение выделенных жирным шрифтом слов.
1) desperate-looking a) nice b) ugly c) old d) fresh
2) much-maligned a) injurious b) electrified c) various d) helpful
3) chill out a) working b) office c) relaxation d) club
4) jukebox a) machine b) food c) room d) band
5) state-of-the-art a) ancient b) modern c) unnatural d) private
6) hey presto a) late b) hard c) deeply d) easily
7) headquarters a) airport b) shop c) main office d) street
5. Выпишите из абзаца
1) № 1 наречие, стоящее между частями составного сказуемого.
2) № 2 герундий в роли дополнения.
3) № 3 подчинительный союз цели.
4) № 4 форму Past Simple Passive.
5) № 5 собирательное местоимение.
6) № 6 форму Present Perfect Active.
7) № 7 конструкцию "subject + passive verb + infinitive"
1) условное предложение I типа из абзаца № 1 в условное предложение II типа.
2) предложение с предлогом by в страдательном залоге из абзаца № 4 в действительный залог.
3) предложение из абзаца № 4 из прямой речи в косвенную.
7. Дайте развернутый ответ на приведённый ниже вопрос. Напишите не менее 8 предложений.
How do you think what company from the text is the best place to work? Compare positive and negative features and give the reasons why you've made your choice.
ENGLISH-11 UNIT 3
ОТВЕТЫ И БАЛЛЫ
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F D J I C E A H
Каждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 8 баллов.
1 2 3 4
d a b c
Каждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 4 балла.
1) Yes, it is. 2) Street. 3) St Luke's
4) Humorous. 5) No, he doesn't.
Каждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 5 баллов.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
b a c a b d c
Каждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 7 баллов.
1) laughingly 2) being 3) in order to 4) was founded
5) everyone 6) have introduced 7) it is intended to be
Каждый верный ответ – 1 балл. Всего – 7 баллов.
1) If the answer to these questions was yes, you would have to move jobs.
2) The company pays for yoga and t'ai chi.
3) Last year CEO Belinda Archer said that they were at that time (then) buying a holiday home, somewhere in the sun but easily accessible, which would be available to all co-owners at a low rate and that could be unique.
Каждый верный ответ – 2 балла, одна ошибка – 1 балл, более одной ошибки – 0 баллов. Всего – 6 баллов.
Развёрнутый ответ на вопрос оценивается из максимума в 8 баллов.
ИТОГО: 45 баллов
Перевод баллов в оценку:
41 - 45 баллов – “5” 17 - 28 баллов – “3”
29 - 40 баллов – “4” менее 17 баллов – “2”