Open the brackets
1. A: It ___(look) like their car has broken down again
B: Yes. They ___ (look) for a new one at the moment.
2. A: Sue ___ (look) for a new flat at the moment.
B: ___(she/find) anything yet?
3. A: The phone is ringing
B: I ___ (get) it.
4. While I ___(clean) my room, my mother ___ (cook) dinner
5. She ___(be) in Novgorod in 1998
6. The film ___ (start) at 11 a.m.
7. It’s hot. I ___ (open) the window.
8. My mother is tired. She ___ (clean) our house for 4 hours.
9. We ___ (know) each other for 13 years already
10. Tom ___ (read) his favourite book from 7 to 10 yesterday
11. I promise I ___(help) you
12. What ___ you __(do) tonight?
13. ___you ___ (ever/meet) a pop star?
14. A: Your car is really old.
B: I know. I ___ (buy) a new car next month.
Match the tenses to their uses.
1. It’s cold in here. I’ll turn the heat up
2. Saint-Petersburg was founded in 1703
3. The bus leaves at 7:00 a.m.
4. While he was reading a book, I was walking my dog
5. Tie your shoelaces! You’re going to trip over them.
6. When he was watching a film, the telephone rang
7. They are going to move house this summer.
8. He picked up the jacket, locked the door and left.
a) two or more simultaneous past actions
b) timetablec) complete action or event which happened at a stated time in the past
d) on-the-spot decision
e) past actions which happened one after another
f) planned action or intention
g) future prediction based on what we can see or know
h) past action in progress interrupted by another past action
1.looks, are looking
2. is looking, has found
3. will get
4. was cleaning, was cooking
5. was6. starts7. will open
8. has been cleaning
9. have known
10. was reading
11. will help
12. are doing
13. have met
14. am buying
1. d2. c3. b4. a5. g6. h7. f8. e