Урок проводится на День Благодарения. В нем принимают участие учащиеся 8-9 класса.
В ходе проведения урока учащиеся знакомятся с традициями празднования ДНЯ БЛАГОДАРЕНИЯ в США.
- формирование умения употреблять лексический материал по теме Thanksgiving Day
- совершенствование правильности произношения английских звуков и слов- формирование умения находить необходимой информации.;развивающий аспект:
развитие творческих способностей учащихся, активности, трудолюбия.
воспитание чувства доброты, желания доставить радость другим.
знакомство с традициями празднования ДНЯ БЛАГОДАРЕНИЯ в США.
Оборудование: раздаточный материал по теме урока, оформление доски к празднику; Песня «Happy Thanksgiving To All».
Организация класса. Сообщение целей, задач и плана работы на уроке.
Т: Good morning, children. We begin our lesson. You know much about traditions of the American holiday- Thanksgiving Day. You’ll know about history, symbols and about traditions of this day.
T: What holiday shall we speak today about? Today American people celebrate one of their national holidays. Look at the blackboard and tell me what holiday it is.
P: it is Thanksgiving Day.
II . Фонетическая зарядка. (на доске)
T: We begin with the phonetic drill. Repeat after me, please.
[i] give, in, tradition, beginning, Pilgrims, Indians, build, big, Thanksgiving, dinner.
[i:] beans, people, TV, season, three, eat.
[i] - [i:] dinner – people, Thanksgiving – three
[ǽ] thanks, national, cranberry, mashed, relax, family.
[e] American, together, bread, special.
[e] - [ǽ] American – family, together – national, special – relax
T: Let’s begin with history of this holiday. Read and translate the words:
Mashed potatoes-картофельное пюре
Creamed-сбитый в крем
Mincemeat-сладкий( с изюмом )
To cover-закрыть крышкой
(приложение № 1)
1. Read and find the sentences:
1.Thanksgiving Day is on the fourth Thursday in November .
2. Thanksgiving started over 380 years ago with Pilgrims. The Pilgrims who sailed to America were originally members of the English Separatist Church. They wanted to escape religious persecution. (фото 1)
3. In the hope of a better life, they decided to move out to America. They sailed to a new continent on board the ship "Mayflower".
4. The Pilgrims reached Plymouth in 1620. There, they had a terrible winter. Many of them died. But the harvest of the next year was very good. And the remaining colonists decided to make a party.
5. They also invited Indians who had helped the Pilgrims survive their first year. The Indians taught the Pilgrims to plant corn. The feast lasted three days. Wild turkey and corn were part of their feast.
6. Now Thanksgiving is a national holiday. People are with their families and friends to give thanks for the good things in their lives. The families come together for a special dinner.
7.Cornucopia is the most common symbol of a harvest festival.
8. Cranberry, is a symbol of thanksgiving. Pilgrims found out a way to sweeten the bitten cranberries with maple sugar. Since that time cranberry sauce is a permanent companion of turkey during thanksgiving feast.
9.Native Americans taught the pilgrims to grow corns, potatoes, beans. That's why they became symbols of Thanksgiving, too.
10. On Thanksgiving Day people decorate their homes with wreaths, fresh and dried flowers.
11. They also send pretty Thank You cards or beautiful Thanksgiving Day Gifts to people who had done something good for them.
(приложение № 2)
2. Answer the questions:
1.What was the name of the people who sailed to America? (Pilgrims)
2.What was the name of a small wooden sailing ship? (Mayflower)
3.How many passengers were on the ship?(102) How many children were on the ship?(22)
4.How many days were the Pilgrims at sea? (66)
5.It is the name of the ocean that these settlers crossed. What is it called? (the Atlantic Ocean)
6.It is the name of the state containing the location where the settlers landed and lived. 7.What is its name? (Massachusetts)
8.Who taught the pilgrims how to survive in America? (the Indians)
9.It is the name of the season in which Thanksgiving is celebrated. What is it? (Fall)
10.When do people celebrate this holiday nowdays? (The last Thursday in November)
11.What is the main traditional Thanksgiving dish? (Turkey)
12.It is a vegetable that was first grown by Native Americans and was later used by the 13.European settlers. What is it called? (Corn)
14.It is also a vegetable first grown by Native Americans and was called by the European settlers. What is it called? (Squash)
(приложение № 3)
3. Choose the right variant:
1) Thanksgiving Day is a) a British holiday b) a Russian holiday c) an American holiday
2) People celebrate Thanksgiving Day a) in offices b) in their houses c) outdoors
3) When do Americans celebrate Thanksgiving Day?
on the fourth Thursday in November on the fourth Tuesday in November
on the fourteenth of November
4)What is a symbol of Thanksgiving Day? a) eggs b) turkey c) hamburgers
5) People decorate their houses with a) the lights and balls b) the toys and sweets
c) the fruit and flowers
6) What vegetables did Indians teach the Pilgrims to grow? a) tomatoes and cucumbers
b) beans and potatoes c) peas and carrots
7) What berry is the symbol of Thanksgiving Day? a) strawberry b) cherry c) cranberry
8) When did the Pilgrims come to the new land? a) in 1621 b) in 1620 c) in 1720
9) What was the name of the Pilgrims' ship? a) Santa Maria b) Mayflower c) Victoria
10) Will people go on Thanksgiving parade, if it is raining? a) Of course, they will.
b) No, they won't. c) They will go on the parade on another day.
(приложение № 4)
3. You get an invitation and correct mistakes in it.
There will be Thankgiving leson in Thursday 24th November.
Plese let me know if you go to have it or not.
(приложение № 5)
4. Americains like the Cranberry sauce. Arrange the sentences in a logical order.
1.wash the cranberries
2.put the cranberries and water in a saucepan
3. bring to a boil
4. cover the pan
5. cook for 6 to 8 minutes
6. remove the mixture from the heat
7. stir in the sugar and salt
8. mix thoroughly
9. chill10. serve with turkey
(приложение № 7)
(1, 2, 7, 8, 4, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10)
V. Заключение. Итоги. Оценки.T: Our lesson is over. Thanks a lot for your work. I wish you Good Luck!