Входное тестирование по английскому языку для 9 класса (общеобразовательный уровень).
With the words “Elementary, my dear Watson...” the most famous detective of all times, Sherlock Holmes, starts to explain something to his friend, Dr. Watson. That phrase has now entered the English language.
Sherlock Holmes first appeared in 1882. He became famous in ‘The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes”. After that came the whole series of books about him: “The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes”, “The Return of Sherlock Holmes”, “The Hound of the Baskervilles” and many others. Many thousands of books about Sherlock Holmes are still sold every year.
Who invented Sherlock Holmes? Arthur Conan Doyle was his inventor. He was a doctor. In 1882 he moved from Scotland to England to set up a practice. One of the doctors he worked for, Dr. Joseph Bell, was the model for Sherlock Holmes's friend, Dr. Watson. Conan Doyle's medical knowledge was a great help to him in his detective stories.
Conan Doyle started the fashion of tile detective story. Today the fashion goes on.
And what sort of man is Sherlock Holmes? We learn a lot about him from the stories in which he appears. He is a quiet man, who only speaks when he has something to say. He smokes a pipe (he has a collection of them). He plays the violin. He carries a large magnifying glass. He lives at 221B Baker Street in London.
If you go to London, you will not be able to find 221 B Baker Street. But instead, you can go to a pub called the “Sherlock Holmes”. In that pub there is a room exactly like Sherlock Holmes's room at 221B Baker Street as described in Conan Doyle’s stories. On the walls there are drawings from the original editions about Sherlock Holmes. (magnifying glass – увеличительное стекло)
I. The text is about ...1) Sherlock Holmes's work.2) the most famous detective and his inventor.
3) Dr. Watson's medical practice.4) Conan Doyle's education.II. Choose the right sentence.
1) Dr. Watson was Dr. Bell's assistant.
2) Dr. Watson was Conan Doyle's friend.
3) Dr. Watson was Conan Doyle's book character.
4) Dr. Watson was Sherlock Holmes's relative.
III. Find the wrong statement.
1) Dr. Watson was Sherlock Holmes's friend.
2) Conan Doyle was a doctor.
3) There is 22l B Baker Street in London.
4) The fashion of the detective stories goes on.
IV. Complete the sentence.
Conan Doyle is known to everybody as...
1) the author of books about Sherlock Holmes.
2) a talented doctor.
3) a good friend of Dr. Joseph Bell.
4) a man who opened a pub in Baker Street.
V. Answer the question.
When did Sherlock Holmes use the phrase “Elementary, my dear Watson “?1) after he gave Watson the explanation of his guess
2) if he wanted Watson to investigate the crime himself
3) before he began to explain something to Watson
4) if Watson asked him how to find the criminal
CHOOSE THE RIGHT ANSWER
1. Have you ever visited other countries? - Yes, I... to Italy and France.
a) was c) had been
b) have been d) would be
2. I feel really tired. We ... to the party last night and have just returned home.
a) went c) had seen
b) has gone d) was going
3. When the bus stopped in the small square, Helen ... her magazine and didn't realized at first that she had arrived at her destination.
a) read c) was reading
b) reads d) had read
4. Television has many advantages. It keeps us informed about the latest news, and also ... entertainment at home.
a) provide c) is provided
b) provides d) provided
5. Some millionaires have lots of money and ... what to do with it.
a) don't know c) won't know
b) didn't d) knows
6. How ... at college? You didn't say much about it in your last letter.
a) do you get on c) will you get on
b) are you get on d) are you getting on
7. When you ... in this city again? - In a month.
a) arrive c) have you arrived
b) arrived d) will you arrive
8. That was great! It was ... meal you have ever cooked.
a) good c) best
b) better d) the best
9. This exhibition is ... interesting than the previous one.
a) little c) least
b) less d) the least
10. We saw ... good film last night. The film was about the love of a girl to her cat and dog.
a) a c) -
b)the d) an
11. Excuse me, do you speak English? I ... for a hotel.a) look c) was looking
b) am looking d) have been looking
12. Don't make noise: the children ... to sleep.
a) try c) will try
b) is trying d) are trying