Звёздный час «Великобритания»
Викторина посвящена культуре, географии и достопримечательностям страны. На доске и на стендах «экраны» с заданиями для каждого тура, тумбочки для участников игры, указатели с номерами ответов. За каждый правильный ответ участники получают звездочки, и итог подводится по количеству заработанных звезд. Двое участников, набравшие наибольшее количество звезд, выходят в финал и участвуют в блицтурнире, который выявляет победителя игры. В игре принимают участие 5 основных игроков. После каждого тура участник, набравший наименьшее количество звезд, выходит из основной игры, но имеет право продолжать зарабатывать звезды, отвечая на вопросы.
Цель: воспитание культуры общения, дисциплины, ответственности, повышение интереса к изучению иностранного языка.
систематизировать и проверить знания учащихся по теме «Великобритания»;
развивать навыки устной речи, чтения, аудирования, письма, творческие способности.
Межпредметные связи: география, история, литература.
Оборудование: задания для конкурсов, звезды, указатели с номерами ответов, задания к блицтурниру по теме «Великобритания», компьютер, карта Великобритании, фотографии с достопримечательностями, праздничные открытки.Ход мероприятия
Task 1. “Geography”.You know some information about the UK. Look at the blackboard. You can see some figures and geographical names. Write six sentences down using the figures and geographical names.
На доске карточки с надписями:
1. Atlantic Ocean.
2. The Union Jack.
3. Four countries.
4. The Queen.
5. The Thames.
Task 2. “Holidays”.There are a lot of holidays which are celebrated in the UK. You can see here six greeting cards. Listen to the small text and say what holiday it is about.
На доске поздравительные открытки:
1. New Year Day.
3. April Fool’s Day.
6. St Valentine’s Day.
1. This holiday is celebrated in spring. It’s a very funny day. You can hear jokes everywhere. People play jokes. (April fool’s Day.)
2. It is a religious holiday and one of the happiest holidays of the year. They decorate a tree with toys and lights. Santa Claus visits children and brings presents. (Christmas.)
3. It is a merry holiday. People celebrate it at the end of the year. They are waiting this holiday with new hopes and dreams. But it is not so popular in Great Britain. (New Year Day.)4. This day is celebrated on February, 14th. It is a day of love and friendship. They send greeting cards and sweethearts. (St Valentine’s Day.)
5. People celebrate this holiday on the 31st of October. The children wear masks and colorful costumes. The most popular costumes are ghosts, witches, and skeletons. (Halloween.)6. This holiday is celebrated on a Sunday in April or May. Before this holiday the people color eggs. (Easter.)
Task 3. “Dates”.There are some well-known dates in the history of the UК. Do you know them? Look at the blackboard. You can see here some dates. Answer the questions.
На доске даты:
3. 11th century.
1. When was Piccadilly centre founded? (1980.)
2. When were the Houses of Parliament founded? (1840.)
3. When was St Paul’s Cathedral built? (1666.)
4. When was the Westminster Abbey built? (11th century.)
5. When was Admiral Nelson’s Statue made? (1805.)
6. When was Buckingham Palace built? (1703.)
Task 4. “The famous people”.You know a lot of famous British people. Can you guess who are they?
1. He was one of the most well known poets and playwrights of the world, born in the 16th century. (William Shakespeare.)
2. She was the only woman Prime Minister in the UK called “The Iron Lady”. (Margaret Thatcher.)
3. This monarch was married 6 times, his second daughter Elisabeth I became the queen known as the “virgin queen”. (Henry VIII.)
4. This actress is known not only in Britain but all over the world thank to her roles as Cleopatra, Lady Hamilton and of course her Scarlet O’Hara from the screen version of “Gone with the Wind”. (Vivien Leigh.)
5. He is a national Scottish poet. At midnight of December, 31st throughout GB people sing his “Auld Lang Syne”. Remember another poem.
My heart’s in the Highlands,
My heart is not here…
6. Her residence is in Buckingham Palace. British people love her very much. (The Queen.)Task 5. “Sightseeing”.There are a lot of interesting places in the United Kingdom. Look at the blackboard. Name the sightseeing and tell about it.
Участники игры рассказывают о достопримечательностях Британии.
На доске картинки с достопримечательностями Британии:
1. Big Ben.
2. Tower Bridge.3. St Paul’s Cathedral.
4. Westminster Abbey.
5. The National Gallery.
6. Trafalgar Square.
Big Ben is the name of the huge clock-bell on the top of Big Ben. It is the biggest one in Britain. It was called Big Ben after Sir Benjamin Hall, who looked after the building of the clock.
Tower Bridge: The river Thames flows through London and there are 17 bridges over the Thames.
Tower Bridge is the gateway to London from the sea. It is the most famous but not the oldest bridge in London. It was built in 1894 not far from the Tower of London. This bridge quickly became the symbol of London.
St Paul’s Cathedral is the city’s greatest monument. And it is the masterpiece of the famous architect Sir Christopher Wren. He is known as “the architect of London” for he planned the building of London after the Great Fire of 1666 with wide streets and houses made of bricks. It was built in 1675–1710 and the building went on for 35 years.
Westminster Abbey is a fine Gothic building in the center of London just opposite the Houses of Parliament. It is the most important and famous of all historic buildings in Britain. Since the time of William the Conqueror (1066) Westminster Abbey has been the crowning place of the kings and queens of England.
It was founded as a monastery but later it was rebuilt. The present building dates from about 1480 but the West Towers were added in the 18th century.
The National Gallery: On the north side of Trafalgar Square you can see the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery next to it.
The National Gallery was begun in 1824 when 38 pictures were bought by the Government. The collection contains pictures of all the European schools of painting between the 13th and early 20th century. Now there are more than 2.000 paintings in the collection. There are no pictures by living artists. Some pictures are bought by the Gallery, some are given by rich people and some are lent.
Trafalgar Square is the most famous of London squares. It is situated in the centre of London not far from Westminster and Buckingham Palace. The square was named after Admiral Horatio Nelson. He defeated the French Fleet at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. Trafalgar Square is the place for political demonstrations and it is the popular meeting place for both tourists and Londoners.
Вопросы для участников игры, вышедших в финал:
1. What is the oldest part of London? (The City.)2. What event ended the plague in London in 1666? (The Great Fire of London.)3. What is one of the most ancient buildings of London, founded by William the Conqueror in the 11th century, used as a fortress, a palace, a prison and a royal treasury? (The Tower.)4. What is the address of the Prime Minister? (10, Downing Street.)5. This church known in Russian as «западный монастырь», from its position 5 km west of London’s center, founded in the year 750 AD. (Westminster Abbey.)6. What is the queen of sports in Britain? (Athletics.)7. This game is played with an egg-shaped ball, which may be carried and thrown (but not forward). Each team has 15 players. (Rugby football.)8. This game is very expensive. It needs large fields and good equipment. This is a popular meeting place of the business community. (Golf.)9. This sport is big business. Every day of the year, except Sundays, there is a race meeting where many people make stakes on that who’ll win. (Horse racing.)10. Who is the House of Commons presided over by? (The Speaker.)11. What does Lord Chancellor sit on? (The woolsack.)12. Which of the parties is nicknamed with a rude name for cattle-drivers? Name the party and its nickname. (The Liberal Party – the Whigs.)13. How long has Elisabeth II ruled the UK? (Since 1952.)14. Who was the longest ruling monarch of the UK? (queen Victoria – 64 years: 1837–1901.)
По итогам игры определяется победитель.