Form 9. Module 1. Vocabulary test
Task 1. Fill the gaps
strong make display takes place spare
bright raise experience parade fancy dress
1. Some people want to _______ the adventure of travelling around the world.
2. This festival includes a noisy street _______.
3. Many tourists usually wear _____ costumes during this festival.
4. If you see a spider, _______ sure you don’t kill it; I’ve heard it’s bad luck.
5. Throwing Mum and Dad a surprise party for their anniversary this year is a really _______ idea!
6. The Alasitas Fair in La Paz, Bolivia, Bolivia, is a colourful event that _______ at the end of January.
7. At Splatfest people need to wear a _____ change of clothes.
8. We always sing carols during Christmas, as it is a _______ tradition in my family.
9. Have you ever watched the New Year’s fireworks _______ ?10. The organizers of the festival hope to _______ enough money for the charity.
Task 2. Choose the correct word.
1. The Carnival in Brazil invites / attracts a lot of people from different countries.
2. Do you think Jessica will win a prize in the cooking contest / superstition?
3. The organizers usually let off / burn fireworks at the end of the festival.
4. Why don’t you take place / enter the singing competition?
5. The Pirates Week festival begins with a mock display / kidnap, complete with tall ships and rowing boats.
Task 3. Translate from Russian into English.
1. собирать деньги 2. есть блины 3. устоявшаяся традиция 4. красочный уличный парад 5. праздновать фестиваль 6. лопаться 7. благотворительность 8. представление 9. охота за сокровищами 10. национальное блюдо