1. Use the words from the box to complete the sentences.
deserved awesome executed sentences betrayed menace confirmed trial demanding denied innocent seek claim
1. Being a nurse in a busy hospital is a very ____________________job.
2. Police officers are demanding tougher ____________________ for people who carry knives.
3. The president will not be able to____________________victory until all the votes are counted.
4. She finally got the success that she truly ____________________.
5. He made his way to London to ____________________his fortune.
6. George ____________________that he had ever been to this house.
7. The new group were just ____________________, all the teenagers were crazy about them.
8. The great painting was ____________________at the turn of the 19th century.
9. The jury declared him ____________________and he was allowed to go free.
10. Human rights groups claim that the ____________________was unfair.
11. The date of the meeting will soon be ____________________.
12. The humanity is facing the growing ____________________of global pollution.
13. A secretary ____________________his trust and made the private information public.
2. Match the words in the two columns and complete the sentences with the word combinations.
menace your time
on the roads
him in his determination
as a baby unborn
to five years
his own principles
1. Our grandparents thought that it was necessary____________________ from children.
2. I have very strong doubts that this new film ____________________.
3. He had ____________________and felt awful about it.
4. I’m as ____________________. Take my word for it.
5. Peter knew it wasn’t easy to enter the best university in the country, but it was a real challenge. The fact only ____________________.
6. Careless drivers often become a real ____________________.
7. He ____________________charged with murder.
8. We all ____________________in front of the painting.
9. The organization ____________________more than 10,000 people.
10. They will be ____________________for that bank robbery.
3. Complete the sentences by choosing the appropriate variants.
1. This court mainly deals with criminal____________.
a) sentences b) trials
2. To achieve success one ____________confidence.
a) demands b) requires
3. Jesus Christ is believed to have had twelve____________.
a) disciples , b) pupils
4. That day we had a ____________of strawberries and cream.
a) feast b) meal
5. He still ____________committing the terrible crime.
a) denies b) deserves
6. My client is ____________compensation for wrongful imprisonment.
a) looking for b) seeking
7. The hotel is a perfect place for a relaxing beach____________.
a) feast b) holiday
8. Two more nuclear power stations were built ____________widespread opposition.
a) in spite b) despite
4. Complete the phrasal verbs with the appropriate function words. 1. The monarch’s orders were immediately carried ____________________.
2. You are the only person who can carry ____________________this unusually hard job.
3. When he died, his son carried ____________________his work and soon published the book.
4. It was just his courage that carried him ____________________in that difficult situation.
5. Turn right at the corner and carry ____________________across the square.
6. The results of the investigation will be made public as soon as we carry it ____________________.
7. Don’t mind us. Just carry ____________________with what you’re doing.
8. If we can’t carry ____________________everything we are supposed to do, we’ll have to ask for help.
5. Use the function words from the box to complete the sentences.
in to of by on
1. We know that a group of people are ____________________trial for bank robbery.
2. This volcano has always been a menace ____________________the population of the village. 3. I’m sure that Jack is innocent ____________________the crime.
4. A lamb was offered in sacrifice ____________________God.
5. The latest events have confirmed me ____________________my position.
6. Do you really believe ____________________ghosts?
7. He went out in spite ____________________his father’s orders that he must stay at home.
8. Is the government aware ____________________the problem?
9. The child is a real trial ____________________his parents.
10. Today’s church service will be led ____________________a visiting priest.