Alice in Wonderland
Fill in the gaps:
1. Alice was sitting on the grass by her ___________ who was reading a book.
2. Alice jumped to her ___________ and started after the Rabbit.
3. She found a small cake with the words "________ me".
4. Suddenly she noticed that a ____________ was swimming in front of her. "How did the __________ fall into the lake of tears?" thought Alice.
5. Alice put her hand into her pocket and found some ___________ there. She gave them as prizes to the birds and animals.
6. Alice liked her __________ so much that she was always ready to speak about Dinah.
7. She saw a large mushroom in front of her. A blue _______________ was sitting on it.
8. Alice's __________ was very long now. When she looked down she couldn't see her body.
9. The Frog-servant and the Fish-servant looked so ____________ , that Alice began to laugh.
10. When Alice looked at the child she saw that it was a little _______.
11. Now Alice could see in the air only the Cheshire Cat's _________.
12. Alice saw a white wall in front of her. There was a large _______ on it.
13. Poor Alice didn't want to listen to ______________, but she said politely "Thank you" and sat down.
14. The gardeners were painting the white roses _________ .15. The players had flamingoes in their hands and they hit the _________________ with the heads of the flamingoes.
16. Every minute the Queen shouted: "Off with his __________".
17. Alice was in a ___________________ for the first time. But she knew all about trials from books.
18. "Who will be the next witness?" thought Alice. Suddenly the White Rabbit cried out the name: "___________!"
19. Rule 42: All people who are very high cannot stay in the courtroom.They must go _____ .20. Suddenly she heard her sister's ___________ . "Wake up, Alice, dear!"
21. "Oh, what a funny ___________," said Alice.
Keys: 1) sister 2) feet 3) eat 4)mouse 5)sweets 6)cat 7)caterpillar 8) neck 9) funny 10)pi 11) grin 12)egg 13)poetry 14)red 15)hedgehogs 16) head 17)courtroom 18)Alice 19)away 20)voice 21)dream.
True, False or Not Stated ?
1. Alice didn't like books without pictures.
2. Suddenly a grey rabbit with pink eyes ran past her.
3. The rabbit could talk.
4. Alice jumped into the rabbit-hole.
5. The rabbit-hole was too wide for Alice.
6. Alice drank something from the bottle which she found on the table.
7. The lake of tears was very deep.
8. Alice saw a pretty little house. On its door she saw the name "R.Rabbit".
9. Alice met a large blue Caterpillar.
10. The Caterpillar was lazy.
11. Alice thought that the 2 servants were very silly and began to laugh.
12. Humpty Dumpty looked like a large egg.
13. Alice liked playing croquet.
14. Alice had to say that the Queen played very well.
15. Alice thought that it was salt that made the Duchess angry.
16. Alice considered the Cheshire Cat to be her friend.
17. When the trial began, the White Rabbit read the accusation.
18. When Alice opened her eyes, she was lying on the sofa in her house.
19. Alice was glad to wake up.
Keys: 1) T 2) F 3) T 4)T 5)NS 6)T 7)NS 8)F 9)T 10)NS 11)F 12)T 13)F 14)T 15)F 16)T 17)T 18)F 19)NS.
Put the sentences in the right order.
1. There was a large lake around her.
2. Suddenly a white rabbit with pink eyes ran past her.
3. Then she saw a large mushroom in front of her. A large blue caterpillar was sitting on it.
4. Poor Alice didn’t want to listen to poetry bur she said to Humpty Dumpty “Thank you” and sat down.
5. She was falling very slowly, so she had time to think, and look about.
6. Alice was in the courtroom for the first time. But she knew all about trials from books.
7. Alice was sitting on the grass by her sister who was reading a book.
8. It was time to get out of the lake because now it was full of birds and animals.
9. Alice was in a beautiful garden at last. Three gardeners were painting white roses red.
10. She was in a very large room now. There were many doors in it.
11. Alice thought that the 2 servants were funny and began to laugh.
12. All the cards began to run from one end of the croquet-ground to the other and back.
13. Alice got angry and woke up.
Keys: 7, 2, 5, 10, 1, 8, 3, 11, 4, 9, 12, 6, 13.
Check up your comprehension of the story choosing the right variant:
1)Alice was sitting on the grass by her sister who was:
a) Dancing b) drawing c) reading a book d) sleeping
2)Suddenly she saw
a)A white frog b) a white fox c) a white rabbit d) a white bear
a)ran after it b) continued reading c) went away d) fell asleep
4)When she found herself in a very large room, she took the bottle and saw the words
a)DRINK ME b) TAKE ME c) THROW ME AWAY d) DON’T TOUCH ME
5)Alice couldn’t get through the door because
a)she had lost the key b) she was too big c) she couldn’t find the key
6)When she noticed that something was swimming in front of her, she understood that it was
a)A crocodile b) a white rabbit c) a snake d) a little mouse
7)She gave ….. to the birds and animals as prizes
a)Books b) sweets c) toys d) bananas
8)The Rabbit was looking for his
a)Umbrella b) gloves c) fan c) gloves and fan
9)Tнe Rabbit called Alice
a) ANN b) Poor girl c) Mary d) Mary Ann
10)A large ….. was sitting on the mushroom.
a)Serpent b) fly c) caterpillar d) rabbit
11)When Alice’s neck became very long, she couldn’t see
a) Her feet b) her head c) her arms d) her body
12)“I like to play ….. very much. But I don’t know the Queen” – said Alice.
a)Football b) tennis c) baseball d) croquet
13) Alice saw a large …. on the wall
a)Egg b) frog c) caterpillar d) serpent
a)Wanted to listen to poetry b) didn’t want to listen to poetry c) didn’t know what she wanted
15)Alice thought that the end of the poem
a)Was funny b) was interesting c) was sad d) was silly
a)Wanted to meet Alice again b) didn’t want to meet her again c) went away
17) When Alice got into the beautiful garden she saw three gardeners
a) sitting under the tree b) painting roses c) playing croquet d) running away
18) The three gardeners were afraid of
a) the Queen b) the Duchess c) Alice d) the White Rabbit
19) …… tried to steal the Queen’s tarts.
a) Alice b) the Knave of Hearts c) the Duchess d) the King
20) Alice woke up .. a) in the courtroom b) at home c) on the grass under a tree d) in a small dark room.
Find out in the text whose words are these:
“What’s the use of a book without pictures in it?”
“Am I falling through the earth?”
“Oh, the Duchess, the Duchess, she will be so angry with me!”
“My tale is long and sad”.
“Marry Ann, what are you doing here?”
“I’m not a serpent!”
“Why do you call me an egg? I don’t like it!”
“I don’t want to meet you again. I don’t like your face. You have the same face as everybody has”.
“Off with their heads!”
“It’s one of my friends – a Cheshire Cat”.
“Who’s making a noise in the courtroom?”
“I’m not a mile high!”
“You’re only a card from a pack!”
“Wake up, Alice, dear!”
Alice 1, 2, 6, 10, 12, 13
The White Rabbit 3, 5The Mouse 4
Humpty Dumpty 7, 8
The Queen 9, 11
Alice’s sister 15
Find English equivalents to the following expressions relating to appearance, character, feelings and emotions:
Мне так жаль (1)
Мои бедные маленькие ножки! (3)
Рассердиться на кого-либо (3)
Испугать кого-либо (3)
Я такая глупая! (4)
Она такая симпатичная! (4)
Сказать что-либо сердитым голосом (6)
Принять кого-то за другого (6)
Eй было очень жарко и она устала. (6)
Оставаться такого роста, как сейчас (букв. Такой большой) (7)
Очень длинная шея (8)
Выглядеть смешно (9)
Круглое лицо (9)
Тем же тоном (9)
Она улыбалась во весь рот (от уха до уха) (9)
Это очень глупо с моей стороны. (10)
Они не выглядят красивее. (11)
Лицо ее побагровело (12)
Как поживаешь? (13)
Она мне не нравится (13)
Алиса была очень вежливая (14).
Я так рада! (15)
Ростом выше мили (16)
I’m so sorry
To grow smaller
My poor little feet!
To be angry with smbTo frighten smbI’m so silly!
She is so pretty!
To be cold
To say smth in an angry tone
To take smb for someone else
She was very hot and tired.
To stay as big as you are now.
A very long neck.
To look funny
A round face
In the same tone
She was grinning from ear to ear
It’s very stupid of me.
They don’t like nicer.
Her face grew red.
Ноw are you?
I don’t like her.
Alice was very polite.
I’m so glad.
More than a mile high
Rewrite the sentences, putting the words in the right order:
a she little found on bottle table.
first at thought that she was crocodile it.
began Alice to again cry.
the looking White for Rabbit was something.
saw a mushroom large she front of in her.
her feet couldn’t she see now.
baby the to like grunt began pig a.
at she last in a garden was beautiful.
were they the roses white red painting.
funny was it a very croquet-ground.
the had in flamingoes players their hands.
to cat’s disappear head the began.
don’t talk why you me to ?
sitting the King the and Queen were throne on their.
will who the be witness next ?
was she under lying on grass the tree a.
it a dream is funny.
Fill in the gaps with the prepositions:
There were many doors _____ the room.
Alice wanted to get ______ the garden __________ the open door.
Again she began to talk _____ herself.
Suddenly she noticed that smth was swimming in front ____ her.
When they got ______ the lake, Alice was very cold.
She put her hand ____ her pocket and found some sweets there.
She didn’t knock _____ the door, but quickly opened it and went ____ .
“What’s the matter _____ me?”
For a few minutes Alice stood and looked ___ the egg.
A lot ____pretty flowers grew ___ the garden.
She tried to hit the ball _____ its head.
She waited _____ some time.
The twelve jurymen were writing smth on pieces of paper.
“And now let’s run home, it’s time ____ tea and Mother is waiting ____ us.
in 8. with
into, through 9. at
to 10. of, in
of 11. with
out of 12. for
into 13. on
at, in 14. for, for.
Guess, what is it/he/she ?
A large pink tropical bird - _________________________
A small brown animal whose body is round and covered with sharp needle-like spines _____________
A round object which is thrown, kicked or hit in a game or sport _____________
The female ruler of a country __________________ ( Cleopatra, etc.)
A member of the army of a country _________________
A building where people are kept as a punishment (наказание) for a crime (преступление)___________
The top art of your body that has your face at the front _____________
Flamingo 2) hedgehog 3) ball 4) queen 5) soldier 6) prison 7) head.